Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Happy Dental Moment!



Over the weekend I was happily enjoying a baguette (soft in the middle with the right amount of crunchy crust on the outside) - and after biting down on the bread I heard a little sound - didn't seem quite right - sort of a funny sense that my cantilever crown wasn't as secure. After dinner it made it's announcement.  It was fully in tact!!  I was dancing the jig. The last thing I wanted to address was thinking about how a new one could be made here. Or anything dental besides maybe a good cleaning during our stay here.  Thankfully about 3 weeks ago I attended a meeting and joined a group here called the Dakar Woman's Group (DWG).  Direct from it's website --> We are a dynamic group of 200+ members from 55 different countries.  We have come together to make friends, have fun, discover Senegal and its people, and above all, to give to charity. We help newcomers adapt and integrate to the Dakar lifestyle and we meet at least once a month through our monthly meetings, visits, activities, and special events.  

The group puts together a handbook (where a percentage of the book sales proceeds go direct to their charity projects) that new members are eager to buy and I was one of them. It's a fantastic and practical guide (in English) compiled by the woman who have lived here (come and gone) to make getting around and having direct recommendations possible for  medical care,  cultural activities, household maintenance,  office and business services, shopping,  restaurants and a plethora of other categories. 

Let's just say that I was *so happy* to reach for this book on Saturday and find a few dentists listed in my neighborhood.  With the use of  a private facebook group DWG maintains I was able to post a question to get 2 names out of a few I could have chosen - just to help narrow down where or who to go to. The book has paid for itself already  Monday morning I contacted Dr Farhat. Tried to start my conversation in French but really knew I could not get far trying to explain this to the receptionist so she was generous enough to hand over the phone directly to the dentist and we spoke in English.  After explaining it all he was extremely reassuring given it was in tact and it would be a straightforward task. I even liked how he asked when it had fallen out - knowing to either prepare for issues if it had been perhaps weeks or months or something like that - but when I said 2 days (i.e. the weekend) - he was happy to hear that. 

It was also quite comforting when Manning and I approached his one story architecturally modern office (which kind of melded into a neighborhood of the British and Belgian embassies and embassy homes). It was equally professional on the inside with a welcoming lobby, professional staff, a plethora of magazines in French and a bonus access to the Internet for Manning's nook. It's really hard to know what you will find behind any door in this city. Looking back it was quite different than our visit with the doctor for our Hep B shot (click here).  And when it comes to dental care in Senegal, I'm not skimping on my options. I prefer someone who proves to have appropriate hygienic practices and the most modern (as possible) of dental apparatus to do the job. Dr Farhat met those requirements. 

After quick inspection of my crown, professional and proper cleaning of my crown and retesting the fit + more than elmers glue ;+}  it's securely back in it's place - I'm back in action.  He assured me it was okay to go back to eating those baguettes. Who'd of thunk a baguette could make such an impact.

 









2 comments:

  1. Did you hear that an American scientist discovered the cure for malaria? He has been working on this cure for 4 decades. He should win the Nobel prize. He is a true hero.

    LC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a silly question? Is there influenza in Dakar? If so, do they have the flu shot?

    P.S. Nicholas wants to know if they sell carambar there.

    ReplyDelete