Friday, October 7, 2011

The Bench

Recently I wrote one of my college room-mate friends, Sheila,  about an observation I had - as we walk and walk and walk -  in and around the neighborhood (mainly back and forth to school)  - the observation:  I find there are no 'public' benches.or seating areas.. After I mentioned it to her I realized it was worthy of a post. So here are my thoughts.  No matter how we alter our way of getting around to the school there is just no aesthetically  open space areas or green space designed to invite you to sit. It's apparent other issues take precedence over urban planning.  As an orientation of what I'm thinking -  my examples from home would include perhaps such places as - a park in Berkeley, the Rose Garden, spots along Market Street in SF, Union Square, or in front of the Berkeley Public Library - you just don't have to look far for a place  to rest your weary bones.
I certainly have noticed people sitting but based on a very defined set of parameters - a security guard in front of a building in his plastic chair, people sitting outside a makeshift table on thin narrow wooden benches eating breakfast, taxi men at the taxi stand waiting on their bench for the next customer, a vendor at a stall sitting on their own stool, a Muslim man sitting on his prayer mat, Senegalese mothers with their children sitting on cardboard on the sidewalk.

 
 But if you are  anyone else who might just be casually passing by - no logs, no chairs, no benches, no big rocks,  no slabs of concrete fashioned at the right height to sit. Don't get me wrong - there are places you can sit - if you pay and go inside a restaurant, cafe or patisserie - or maybe you can inconspicuously sit on a porch step of a storefront for a moment, or possibly even on the curb between two cars - not ideal though. I'm talking about as one strolls maybe you reach a point where it would be nice to just sit down outside and rest because one is seeking that definition of rest - at least I am on occasion (all 5 definitions in no certain order)
rest 1  (rst)n.
1. Cessation of work, exertion, or activity.
2. Peace, ease
3. Quiet relaxation.
4. Relief or freedom from disquiet or disturbance.
5. Mental or emotional tranquility.


After a few weeks here now - I have finally found and confirmed the location of  my resting spot and "the bench" for me - or the best it's going to get. It's located at the L'Institut Francais (previously called Le Centre Culturel Français de Dakar) a gathering place to promote both French and Senegalese culture and diversity.  




From the picture you can see one of the walls that defines the Institut on the block  - the tiled image incorporated is that of  Léopold Sédar Senghor - a  Senegalese poet, politician, and cultural theorist who for two decades served as the first president of Senegal (1960–1980). Seems quite appropriate to have his picture within the design.

This finite space is made up of one square block and a great little oasis in the middle of this city!  Approaching this place from all sides you get a flavor on what is happening on the outside.





Then you get to the main gate opening                             





And once your bag is checked and you step over the threshold inside you know you can rest easy for awhile. It is a public place but there is no question it both caters to a more educated crowd and provides access for learning for those striving for more.  And there's  a spot of green!  With a Fromager (Kapok) tree nicely planted in the center.  From what I picked up on the web this tree in other parts of the country forms the center of a Senegalese village. The trees are believed to possess spirits which protect the inhabitants from bad luck. The village elders also meet under the kapok tree because it produces shade. It gets its  name from the french word for cheese because of its  light, soft wood. And as you can see its got a rather fascinating root structure. Turns out boats used here called Pirogues (yet I'm sure a future post) are made out of this tree.








The beauty of this place - no litter and vendors are kept at bay. Taxi's become invisible.  It's a small yet peaceful area from the madness on the outside that can grate on you (and it has me) even if you have adapted (or adopted). As it turns out this is also the location where my French language classes are being taught and I've already started my first week of my 10 week session. L'Institut has a great cafe/restaurant that I've had the pleasure of downing a beer at as well. 
 
 




Registration Building - houses the adult and childrens library, dvd checkout, wifi access, social gathering spots, classrooms and the cinema





Outdoor Concert Stage


Now as for that bench  - Drum roll please.... 1 of 3 situated around the Fromager tree.


 

Next time you take a walk around - you just might now notice more places to sit than you realized.  Where is your next sitting spot going to be?  For at least the next year - I know where one of mine now exists! 


On an aside - I also learned today - why I saw people laying down newspapers before they sat down. Let's just say there are alot of birds who have found their bench too!

3 comments:

  1. HI HILARY..........I SURE LIKED YOUR COMMENT YOU SHOULD KEEP UP THE WRITING AND SOMEHOW SEND ITTO THE SCHOOLS IN BERKELY THAT THE BOYS ARE ATTENDING THIS WORD ABOUT HOW AFRICA IS NOT ABLE TO USE THEIR GASOLINE NEEDS BE UNDERSTOOD BY ALL THE WORLD THAT STILL KEEPS USING ALL THE RESOURCES THAT WE HAVE LEFT IN THE WORLD....I REEALLY ENJOY YOUR WRITING AND ALL THAT YOU HAVE TO SAY.............BUT LET ME SEE SOME MORE PICS OF THE BOYS ALSO...LOVE YOU AND ALL THE FAM DAMLY................BOOMBA

    ReplyDelete
  2. The table looks pretty good to me.
    You found a treasure of a sitting place.
    You are amazing in the detail and fluidity of your descriptions and the pictures just add to the reader's sense of being there.
    Keep these blogs safe. They are priceless.
    I'm still catching up with you.
    Love,
    Tish

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked this post best of all so far (since I'm starting from the beginning. Kapok was also used in life vests before syrofoam.

    ReplyDelete